Monday, November 9, 2015

Remembrance Day: I don't appreciate your sacrifice



...how can I?

I live in a first world, non-militant country, without conscription or any service requirements at all. My "knowledge" of war comes from the movies and the news, and I am extremely confident in saying that neither of those sources capture the true face of honour and bravery, nor the horror and anguish.

"Thank you for your service" and "lest we forget", are hollow, meaningless words to me...and I thank you for that.

Perhaps the greatest legacy of our soldiers, of ALL soldiers, is that those of us who can't possibly know what war feels like; don't know. I can't even fathom leaving my wife and dogs, being shipped off to the other side of the world, having a gun thrown in my hands, and being told that its me or him; us or them; kill or be killed. And yet that is exactly what happened to our grandmothers, grandfathers, great-grandmothers, and great-grandfathers.

If I can't fathom it, surely I can't appreciate it. But I can be thankful, and I can learn. And I can try to understand the meaning of true sacrifice.

So on this November 11th, don't remember. After all, you can't remember nor forget something that you were never part of. Instead, educate yourself, take a moment of silence out of respect, and if you get the opportunity, thank someone who is currently serving our country.

I may not be able to appreciate your sacrifice, and while I can't remember, I won't forget to learn.

@BrendanRolfe


Image Credit: http://www.youeffect.ca/remembrance-day-lest-we-forget/ 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment